Despite being heavily linked with the Gunners for almost the entirety of the January transfer window, it is now being reported that Denis Suarez is not in fact a priority signing for Arsenal.
It was believed the 25-year-old had been earmarked by Unai Emery as Aaron Ramsey’s replacement, yet Arsenal and Barcelona had come to a stalemate in negotiations regarding the deal to take the Spanish midfielder to the Emirates, with the Gunners unable to commit to a permanent deal due to a lack of transfer funds being available this month.
Arsenal fans right now:
1. Search Denis Suarez on Twitter
2. Search Yannick Carrasco on Twitter.
3. Be disappointed
4. Refresh after 5 mins
— ¹⁴ (@AubameyangFlair) January 9, 2019
And, despite Suarez wanting to trade Catalonia for North London to the point where he is willing to turn down a move to anywhere else other than Arsenal, Guillem Balague is now reporting that the former Sevilla man may not get his wish.
Speaking on the Guillem Balague Transfer Show, the Spanish football expert said;
“To update you on Denis Suarez, Barcelona thought the deal was going to be taking place this week because they thought it was going to be an easy one.
“Denis Suarez says ‘Arsenal or nothing, or I stay’. But it’s not as easy as that, there are other teams that are interested.
“Denis Suarez is saying exactly the same. The problem is for Arsenal, Denis Suarez is not a top priority.
“And because they’ve got a limited amount of money they can use on wages as well, and on loan deals, they’re just waiting to take a final decision.”
The clubs are reported to have met already this week in an attempt to thrash out a deal, yet an agreement is yet to be reached. Barca would be willing to let Suarez leave this month is the Gunners commit to a loan move with an obligation to turning the move permanent in the summer. However, as it stands, the Arsenal board are unwilling to compromise on this.
(h/t the express)